We are currently seeking a 1st to 3rd year associate to support our Los Angeles Office’s Tax Practice Group. The ideal candidates will have 1-3 years of tax experience, an LL.M in taxation, and be licensed to practice law in California. Candidates should also have strong writing skills, excellent academic credentials, and a desire to work in our Los Angeles office.
- Act as part of “deal team” with heavy deal flow, focusing on private equity and strategic deals, with duties ranging from tax diligence to review and drafting of agreements (with supervision)
- Analyze international tax issues, “subpart K” tax issues, corporate tax issues and other tax issues
- Analyze state and local tax rules, with an emphasis on California tax laws (no experience required with respect to California tax law)
- Business formations – develop understanding when to use corporations, S corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships
- Work as part of tax controversy team, including advising clients on Internal Revenue Service examinations and appeals, and California Franchise Tax Board audits and appeals (with supervision)
- Participate in client meetings
- Learn client needs and deal issues
- Consult with senior tax lawyers
- Write memoranda
- Prepare minutes, consents
Our tax lawyers work closely with the firm’s business and finance attorneys, identifying and handling the tax consequences of transactions such as taxable mergers and acquisitions, tax-free reorganizations, or the purchases and sales of stock, other equity interests and assets. We counsel clients on choice of entity and structure, and related party transactions such as partnership-partner and corporation-shareholder transactions. We are adept at handling debt and equity restructuring, structuring private equity, mutual fund and venture capital transactions, and leasing transactions.
A career at Buchalter is an opportunity to do exciting work with a dynamic and rapidly growing law firm. We value an energizing and supportive environment that promotes success for our clients and each other. We offer a competitive salary, various types of bonuses, unlimited PTO, 401k, a full benefits package and all of our attorney positions are on an equity partnership track.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, writing sample and transcript using the link below.