Our team of experienced construction lawyers represents a number of private and public owners, as well as others involved in the construction industry, including architects, engineers, and contractors. Several of our lawyers have been listed in the U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Lawyers” within the Litigation-Construction category.
We handle virtually every type of construction-related matter through each stage of the process, from conception to completion, including project financing, permitting, contract drafting, risk management and dispute resolution. Our goal is to assist our clients in a manner that manages their risks and avoids protracted and expensive disputes. In the event disputes cannot be resolved, our lawyers have tried cases in arbitration, state and federal courts. Here’s a sample of the types of claims we’ve handled, both prosecuting and defending:
- Architect & Engineer Liability
- Bid Disputes
- Delay Claims
- Warranty/Defect Claims
- Insurance Coverage Disputes
- Miller Act and State Law Bond and Lien Claims
- Termination and Default
- Change Order and Extra Work Disputes
- Represent several developers in Washington State on a number of multi- million dollar mixed-use projects involving contract negotiations, warranty issues, and insurance claims
- Representing California-based developers on the renovation of a historic building in Seattle into a Hotel. Handled finance and tax credit work, negotiations with general contractor, and course of construction dispute resolution
- Representing a Seattle Developer through the course of the renovation of a historic building into workforce housing. Handled finance and entity formation, contract negotiations, indemnity, insurance and risk management claims
- Represented the Port of Seattle on differing site conditions claims and bid protests
- Represent numerous real estate developers in California, Phoenix, and Washington State with ongoing construction issues on multifamily mixed use for sale and lease projects
- Successfully defended institutional lender accused of wrongfully reneging on loan commitment and causing large housing development to fail following 2008 housing market crash.
- Jury verdict exonerating control system designer/manufacturer accused of causing chiller plant failure that damaged NASA’s supercomputers.
- Obtained injunction to stop large apartment development infringing on neighboring property owner’s rights.
- Obtained injunction to stop major shopping center expansion violating department store tenant’s lease.
- Obtained seven-figure settlement to remedy improperly compacted soil underneath distribution center.
- Defended materials suppliers in construction defect litigation
- Successfully defended a materials supplier in toxic tort/asbestos matters