Buchalter’s Cannabis & Hemp Industry Law Group began in 2013 and has since expanded to over one hundred clients utilizing over twenty-five lawyers across each of its practice groups. The attorneys in the Cannabis & Hemp Industry Law Group have substantial experience representing every aspect of the industry, including investment funds, multi-state operators, cultivators, manufacturers, distributors, retailers, intellectual property licensors, equipment lessors, factors, receivers, lenders, and packaging companies in connection with corporate, finance, real estate, intellectual property, employment, and litigation matters.
Clients are specifically advised in connection with:
- Corporate formation and structure, including corporate governance, shareholder and operating agreements, and mergers and acquisitions of businesses
- Distressed assets, including receiverships and assignments for the benefit of creditors
- Intellectual property licensing and protection, including copyrights, trademarks, patents, and trade secrets
- Finance, including capital raises, secured loans and factoring, banking and Bank Secrecy Act compliance
- Labor and employment, including compliance and litigation
- Real Estate, including land use, development, CEQA, leasing, and lending
- Product labeling and advertising, including Unfair Competition and Proposition 65 lawsuits
- Tax, including IRC Section 280e compliance
Attorneys in the Cannabis & Hemp Industry Law Group are widely respected by clients, peers and market observers, and are recipients of numerous awards and honors for their practices. Many have presented at numerous industry conferences, and authored industry related articles in major publications including Los Angeles Lawyer.
Highlights of our successes include:
- Securing the first ever receiver sale of a cannabis license. At auction, a licensed California cannabis business, The Guild San Jose’s, assets were sold to San Diego based retail chain Urbn Leaf for $8.25M
- Advising the formation and operations of the first factor in the cannabis industry